By: NewNaturalista
Blanca Santander
Blanca Santander
I met Blanca Santander about 3 years ago while doing a story on the 8.0 earthquake that hit her home country of Peru. She warmly welcomed me into her Seattle home, which was filled with lively paintings of beautiful faces and colorful landscapes. Thankfully none of her loved ones were hurt in the quake – and honestly during my entire visit I kept thinking, “One day I’d like to do a story on this woman’s work.” The day has finally come!
Blanca is such an inspiration to me. She’s so alive, living her passion as an artist and it shows in her work. I had the pleasure of asking her a few questions about what inspires her.
NewNaturalista: At what age did you realize illustration and art were your passions?
Blanca Santander: As far back as I can remember I have always been expressing myself with any materials I could find. From shells, leaves, rocks, sand, anything Mother Earth would give me, to crayons, tempura colors, pencils, and any available paper I always found a way to work with what was available. Growing up, I always knew I would go the University to study art. At the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, during my last years, I began working as an illustrator. A friend of mine who was a graphic designer needed help working on a huge project for a well-known editor from my native Peru. My friend told me he felt that my paintings had a certain quality that made him to think that I would be a good children’s book illustrator. Just like that, I started working in illustration, helping me pay my tuition. Two years into working as an illustrator I won first prize in a children’s book national contest organized by FAO-Holland-INFOR (a European non-profit working in South America).
Mother Earth and the Children
Mother Earth and the Children
NewNaturalista: Tell us a little about the evolution into becoming a full time artist.
Santander: I have always been working as a full time artist since my university days. When I came to the United States in 1996, I left behind a vibrant career as an artist in Peru to re establish myself in Seattle were I filled my time learning English and becoming adjusted to a new culture, working hard as a part time waitress , saving money for art materials. After a while and a lot of work, many exhibits here and there, workshops, volunteer jobs, etc. I can say I am a full time Seattle artist. I’m proud of many recognitions for my work and one of the last ones is that again for a second consecutive year Barnes and Noble select one of my works to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month 2010 by featuring “Mother Earth and the New World” painting on merchandise in their 800 stores nationwide.
NewNaturalista: How does your culture influence your point of view?
Santander: I’m from the land of Incas and Mother Earth, my heritage, my values, my colors run concurrently with all my themes. The fusion of my past and present can best be expressed by my painting “Mother Earth and the New World. With the magnificence of the city where we live it’s impossible not to be connected with Mother Nature in our daily lives. Seattle is a modern city enveloped in natural beauty. In my art I combine my Seattle environment with the foundation of my love for celebrating family, community and heritage. My passion is my love for our Mother Earth, my faith in humanity and my belief that compassion is so important in our lives.
NHLI 1st Prize
NHLI 1st Prize
NewNaturalista: What are some things that inspire you?
Santander: I’m inspired by the balance of things, the relationship between beauty and sensuality. I’m also inspired to be part of the collective conscience that we as a world be better served by focusing on peace as opposed to war, love as opposed to hate and acceptance as opposed to fear. My art is influenced by great painters like Mark Chagall and his celebration of life, and for example, Amedeo Modigliani for his sensuality.
NewNaturalista: You’ve branched out into photography, specifically children’s photography. What about children are you most inspired by?
Santander: Children are full of energy, in movement all the time, changing fast. Children’s photography is always a special challenge for me because they give you only an instant to make a perfect picture. But it’s something else that makes me love to take pictures of children and this is the energy they give me any time I work with them. Their expressions, their comments and their stories pull at my heart. They are so candid, natural and pure that no matter how tired or hard I work, they leave me with a big smile on my face.
NewNaturalista: What are some of your future aspirations?
Santander: I will continue to paint and paint some more. I am working on illustrating a children’s book presently and hope for good results with that. I want to increase the awareness of my art locally and worldwide. I get great satisfaction when my creations connect with people in all walks of life. It is humbling when I get phone calls and emails from people I have never met looking for my work. I am developing a limited edition giclees from my most popular paintings to sell from my website. My goal this year is to really gear up my website to be more of a sales enterprise.
For more of Santander’s work go to: blancasantander.com
Andean Bouquet
Andean Bouquet